Saturday, April 07, 2007

Friday Feast...

(And an admonition against "swinging")


tonight Dennis and I went to a low-key mexican restaurant in a pretty surburban upper-middle class area, to eat with an old friend and her cute boyfriend. It was a lot of fun- we stayed at our table for like four hours talking and catching up, and I never felt like her boyfriend was annoyed or didn't want to be around. Which is good, FYI boyfriends: us married women don't like feeling like you don't like us because we are married.

And right when we were leaving, as the band (a great female singer that strangely covered Maroon 5 songs AND Led Zeppelin, but who obviously is a big time smoker....) played its' last songs, we came upon the ugliest scene.


3 middle aged couples in a group hug, dancing together and laughing and very nearly having sex. It looked like what you might see in an old video for like, Woodstock. I am all about love. But it gave me visions I did not want to have. All of us were like "okay, those people are really drunk and about to go home and do something they are really going to regret in the morning." Because at least when I think about swinging, I think about Austin Powers. I don't think about mini-van driving soccer moms and dads who play golf together. It's just a little awkward. I should say it would have been just as weird if it had been a group of posh models. But these people are like MY DAD'S age. So I just say, to soccer moms and golf buddy dads of the world and specifically in Calabasas, CA, that swinging is not a good idea. Unless you really really want to embarrass the hell out of your kids, who are probably teenagers. oh the angst!

And here is this week's friday's feast...

Appetizer
When you travel, which mode of transportation do you prefer?

I prefer flying. I hate airports but I hate driving/car sickness/rest stops probably more. It just doesn't make sense to me that you can go from LA to Las Vegas in 30 min. by plane or 5-7 hours by car. (And I've had my fair share of long painful car rides from Albuquerque, NM to Southern CA next to my annoying brother and sister...)

Soup
Have you ever met a blogging friend in person?

I have never met a blogging friend in person. Most of my closest blogging friends aren't in the US (definitely not in CA) and Sarah was like (I'm not kidding...) 30 min. away from me and I didn't meet her because I don't have my driver's license and so I never made it work.

Salad
When was the last time you were really, really tired?

school.... I feel like I'm always really really tired. I was really really tired last weekend because of the church retreat. I get really really tired whenever I travel, even with being on a plane. (Last year when I went to Michigan, it took me like a week to recover.)

Main Course
If you could have dinner with any one fictional character from a book or movie, who would it be?

That would be Bridget Jones.... (first character to come to my mind, at least...)

Dessert
Fill in the blank: One day, I hope to see _______________.

One day, I hope to see my own driver's license!!!!

1 comment:

Daniel said...

I have heared you from my close friends who I met on EbonyFriends.com.
You are lovely and beautiful most friends of mine like you especially the boys.