Tuesday, December 26, 2006

spanglish...

I was trying to think of what to write today. I've been sick all day so I haven't done anything remotely interesting. Dennis went to work (yuck!)

He told me that he called his family today and talked to his Dad. His dad said "what did you get Erin for Christmas?" and Dennis forgot how to say "necklace" in Spanish! (collar) On one hand I feel kind of bad for Dennis because he is "forgetting"- his Dad said "wow! you are forgetting spanish!". That must feel so strange. I guess if we return to Chile to live, the same will happen to me. Lately we are speaking in English more than Spanish because I can't understand always what Dennis is saying and I've lost alot of my spanish vocabulary. (But we still watch the news in Spanish and listen to Spanish pop music.)

It's just a very strange phenomenon, when you know how to speak more than one language. Dennis is dreaming in English now and sometimes, like today at work, he has customers who are surprised that he has only been in the US for 3 years because he speaks English so well.

I guess I imagine myself immersing myself in spanish and in the language when we move to Chile. It would be very easy to only speak Englis and to only have gringo friends but I imagine that if I live in Chile that I will have to do what Dennis is doing now. And then I will forget how to say "squirrel" (ardilla)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hahahaha! it happened to me too when I was in London :) I stayed for only 3 months and after one month and a half my neighbour passed by the airport and I got to meet him up. Imagine that I asn't able to speak to him in catalan! ( my second language! ) the funny is that when I tried in spanish happened the same as happens to Dennis :)

However, I guess you never forget it at all and sanish is too much spanish ;-)