Saturday, January 20, 2007

The Holy Grail...

I've spent the whole day in bed, curtains closed. I'm not depressed but rather just overloaded and I figured that if I had one day more in a nice hotel with a nice bed, I might as well use it.

I did, around noon, leave my cave to go to my apartment for some pants. I talked to the workers and made sure that they were really going to finish their work before I came back tomorrow. The bathroom does look better- missing some things like the mirror but the paint fumes weren't so bad and they said they are sending in housekeepers tonight to clean the place up.

Dennis is in Knoxville right now. He says that it's very clean and that everyone is very friendly.

Dennis: "Baby! It's so clean! And pretty!"
Me: "Like another country? Like Canada or something?"
Dennis: "Yeah but they can't understand me because my accent is a mix of California and Chilean and I can't understand them because they speak weird."


And Dennis's luggage got sent on a later flight so he is spending the night, in the Hilton, wearing the same clothes he's worn all day. This is where I'm not sure if we have a cultural difference or a gender difference because he really doesn't care!

Me: "But you don't have any pajamas! Your alarm clock is in the suitcase! Your cellphone charger is in the suitcase! Your Citrucel is in the suitcase!"
Dennis: "Oooh yeah! I forgot about that!"


I would be flipping out. He is thrilled. It really is so new for him- he's never been to the southern US. I secretly hope he gets into a civil war arguement with someone.

But the point of the whole blog post was to say that I, stuck here doing Greek homework and struggling through "A Little Exercise for Young Theologians" by Helmut Thielicke, was suffering because the vending machine outside of our hotel room ran out of diet coke. But then I went downstairs and asked someone at the front desk. As it turns out, an executive hotel at a university is generally equipped with vending machines because there are students and people coming for meetings, etc. I went down a couple of hallways and passed some classrooms and found the Holy Grail of vending machines.

As I saw three beverage machines, a coffee machine, and two junk food machines (so if I was starving I could buy a candy bar or some "cup of noodles"), and a microwave, I heard an angelic choir singing "hallelujah"! oh sweet Jesus, I'm so blogging about the satisfaction of buying diet coke from a machine!

2 comments:

Spanish Kitchenette said...

I guess some people is just too dumb to make the effort to understand you accent... I noticed it in UK, really.

But I am sure Dennis will manage himself to make him understandable ;)

Anonymous said...

I saw that video that Dennis took of you in your previous post.. and I kinda understand what he's saying. :P