Thursday, June 14, 2007

a selfish post about a selfish quote

I borrowed this book from a very dear friend who is in Boston right now and I have kept it for far too long- I am sending it back tomorrow so I need to type this great quote in now, (or write it down but my hand cramps up too easily...). It's purely selfish but if anyone else gets something out of it, gold stars.

"I hear addicts talk about the shakes and panic attacks and the highs and lows of resisting their habit, and to some degree I understand them because I have had habits of my own, but no drug is so powerful as the drug of self. No rut in the mind is so deep as the one that says I am the world, the world belongs to me, all people are characters in my play. There is no addiction so powerful as self-addiction."

Donald Miller, Blue Like Jazz, p. 182
(and friends with the guy who wrote "I kissed dating goodbye" and put me and some girls in college into a whole tizzy where we justified being invisible to guys because we were saving ourselves for God and that dating is (can be) actually sinful. And then (thank Christ) I moved closer to the center of things in Buenos Aires second semester of my sophomore year and had a bad argentine-guys-are-shady experience and then met Dennis!! So I think dating is okay. No problem with dating in my opinion. Unless it's one of my stepdaughters...)

1 comment:

Spanish Kitchenette said...

dating is good to be able to get to know the person you are thinking about sharing with him some sides of your life.