Thursday, June 14, 2007

random movie reviews...

earlier this week (sunday actually), I went to rent videos. This is a big deal because I haven't watched a rented movie by myself in years. It took me at least 30 minutes to make a decision because I have just forgotten the art of renting movies. I chose two movies I knew Dennis wouldn't care to see.

1st movie: "La Mujer de mi Hermano"-


Manolo Cardona and Christian Meier (a Colombian and a Peruvian) in a (Peruvian written- Dennis thinks this little detail makes all the difference) story where they are brothers sharing, basically, the older brother's wife. It was a bit like an R-rated soap opera but my jaw dropped at the twists and I recommend it as a chick flick. I told Dennis the story and I was right, he wouldn't want to see it. It wasn't great music wise or cinematography wise but it was interesting. I think it took place in Mexico (not sure) and the main characters are wealthy and live better than I do. Great house, great pool, great clothes.

2nd movie: "In the Mouth of Madness"- I've got no idea why I wanted to see this movie. I do know why: I wanted to see it when I was a kid, back in 1995, and I think Sam Neill is a very good-looking and appealing old British guy who I adored in "Jurassic Park".

It's supposed to be a scary movie but the effects were pretty ridiculous, the female characters were absurd, the plot was kind of absurd too, and it was tame enough that I could eat a spinach salad while people that kind of looked like zombies walked around with morphed out creatures that kind of remind me of the alien monster in "Alien". It felt like something I'd see on cable only instead of getting the edited version where the character says "Get Lost!!" and you know he's really saying "F*%K YOU!!" in poorly dubbed censorship... I got the real "f" words.

so. I am thankful that I chose not to rent the second "Pirates of the Carribean" or "Friends with Money", I do regret at least the 2nd movie, which was certainly not worth $5. The first was good but it would have been better if I had watched it with one of my girl friends.


And to the very least, all three of the male leads in these movies are pretty attractive in my opinion. (Actually, it was interesting seeing all of these guys in R-rated situations too- usually they are either fighting off StevenSpeilbergdinosaurs or playing Zorro/Main Romantic lead in a telenovela on Telemundo where the worst word you can say is "Damn!" or "Maldita!" and the most sexual activity you get is "hey! He's kissing her neck! Oh wow! I think I saw toungue??) You are free to doubt the sex appeal of Sam Neill who is probably as old as my father-in-law but I challenge anyone to say that the latin boys in the first film are not hot.

And this really all means I need my husband back at home, where he belongs.

No comments: