Thursday, October 11, 2007

short answer: I'm back.

I came home on Sunday morning and it took me all week to feel adjusted. I'm like satin pants. I don't travel well. I wrinkle. I had homework and makeup exams and I needed to re-adjust.

First: I did eat a lot less in Chile. Not just walking a lot. But eating less. But it doesn't matter because I've finally learned that when Dennis is gone (he's coming back tomorrow morning), that I eat a lot of crap. Like apple turnovers.

Second: I took over 100 photos and left the camera with Dennis last Saturday night. But let's all recap: I'm a stepmother to two teens, 14 and 15. Dennis called me on Sunday because they decided to take photos without asking Dennis, and (of course), they ended up deleting ALL OF MY PHOTOS.

yes, I'm serious. I'm annoyed, I'm not lying. But it's also true that memories are more valuable than photos and hopefully Dennis took some photos after I left so I can show everyone how cute the children in Chile are and also how good my brother in law is. He is officially in CANCER REMISSION and acting on Chilean night time novelas too!

Oh man. Good photos were lost. I really enjoyed my week with Dennis's family and with his girls, (who ended up moving in with us for the week because in short, their mom is a bit psycho). That's the drama that I alluded to earlier but didn't have brain cells to write about. Basically, she threw them out because they were acting like teenagers and maybe because she was tired of being a mom and also maybe because she was jealous that we were all having fun and that the girls enjoy time with me and with their dad. So when I left, the girls were with Dennis's mom and we had just bought them their own bunk beds. But yesterday, in short, the courts decided that the girls should stay with their mother. I think it sucks that the girls were thrown into this whole mess and I'm having a more difficult time then ever understanding how mothers can act like children are pets to throw away (read: I am having problems giving grace or being graceful.) Brittney and the girl's mother. Lumped into the same category. I could write a whole lot on this. But maybe the first step is to stop talking about it. Prayers for Dennis and for the girls, as the girls have kind of been tossed around and because it hurts Dennis to see them suffer.

Chile was a great experience. Even with mentioned crisis, I had a great week. We went to the Chilean version of Disneyland ("Fantasilandia") and my GOD you have not LIVED until you are riding on a rollercoaster that goes upside down and really fast and you hear a loud noise from the breaks and you think a pin just might come out of the ride because they really aren't invested in safety.

Chilean public transportation is another thing. Santiago has this new bus system that really sucks. Basically there are like 5 buses for the whole city so there are like 50 people minimum waiting in line. And so the first female President in Latin America has dropped in approval ratings of 35%. Dennis was stuck in Santiago (we were 2 hours away), because he was in the middle of a protest.

Let's see. What am I forgetting. My stepdaughter Cristina- when given 5 minutes to take what she can from her house, her most treasured valuables are her hamster (who is suprisingly soooo cute!) and her Kelly Clarkson CD (that new one that everyone seems to hate). She is also really addicted to text messaging. So that's a universal teen thing.

It's really nice to know that you can make a 14 and 15 year old happy by spending a dollar on those glow bracelets that they sell in the US for rave parties and Halloween.

Yes, so I still hate Hebrew. Missing my husband. Feeling weird that I'm actually in a routine now of being alone.

I DID get a "family photo" of the four of us at Fantasilandia but it's on a button so I think I can scan it but I've never scanned a button before.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG, girl! I would be freaking out if all my pictures had been deleted!! I'm so sorry. That totally sucks.

Good news about your brother-in-law though! That's awesome!

Hope you start settling back into your routine soon--getting back from vacation is always kind of a letdown. Sigh.

Glad you made it back safe! :)

Unknown said...

OH WOW! I had no idea the girls mom was so bad! I'm so sad for them that they had to go through that (And you and Dennis too of course!) It's so sad when the parents (or in this case...the parent) puts the kids in the middle like that and treats them like.

I'm glad Dennis will be home soon. Did he go straight from Europe to South America? So he's not been home in a long time huh???

Anonymous said...

I remember when we didn't have camera, that we had to limit the number of pictures to take not to spend too much money printing them from the ordinary cameras. I have even been in places which I don't have pics from.

However, I admit I might be a little bit annoyed if this would happen to me, but memories will always remain in your mind !

welcome back!

Anonymous said...

I remember when we didn't have camera, that we had to limit the number of pictures to take not to spend too much money printing them from the ordinary cameras. I have even been in places which I don't have pics from.

However, I admit I might be a little bit annoyed if this would happen to me, but memories will always remain in your mind !

welcome back!