Friday, September 05, 2008

Quarter life crisis in the making.

I feel really old to be 26. It's not Dennis's fault or the fault of the fact that we live with people who are still barely legally able to drink.

It's been brewing in me for awhile but it came to a head tonight. I feel so old. I've been wearing black nail polish for about a month now. I think it's cute and it reminds me of the funner parts of high school. Dennis groaned. Apparently, black nail polish is not sexy. I counterattacked- not only are famous people who are my age and older wearing it, but it's actually being worn in fashion magazines. Chanel has a black polish. But the very thought of me wearing it makes me look juvenile.

This attack on my nails paralleled a similar discussion about having a glass of wine to relax. I reason this: I'm not drinking alone, I'm not binge drinking or drinking every day (or even every week!), I'm not a mother of anyone and really am not responsible for anyone except for myself, and I'm an adult. But apparently my urge to want to drink hints that I'm immature.

So what I see as me being a normal 26 year old is "immature". Maybe I am wrong. Maybe I should strive to be five years older than I am. Marriage, perhaps, means that you have to shrug off anything that makes you feel like an individual or young.

I'm kind of freaking out about this. If I'm "too old" for black nail polish or the thought of an occasional glass of alcohol, I'm definitely too old to do something really crazy like die my hair pink or get a nose ring.

Marriage and all of its' complications aside, I have one question:
a)Am I really too old to wear black nail polish. I know that I have 4 years on most of my classmates and that I can't wear the same fashions (leggings, painful boots, etc.) But can't I have the black nail polish?

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Wow, I know what you mean. More than you'll ever know.

I say wear the nail polish. Embrace it. Yay for black nail polish!

Atleast you're not an alcoholic, cheating, club hopping coke headed 26 year old right?

You and I both got married very young, to men older than us. I settled down way sooner than any of my friends and now feel like I've missed out on some part of my life.

I love my life, my husband, our daughter...but there's that part of me that wants to wear cute clothes, have margaritas with friends and WEAR BLACK NAIL POLISH!!! :-)

Speaking of my life, I have pictures of Hannah's first soccer game up on my blog now.