Wednesday, April 23, 2008

This is probably going to haunt me...


Or come back and bite me. You choose the metaphor.


I have decided that I cannot concentrate tonight on my Old Testament final exam. I am going to "in theory" wake up early tomorrow and study, instead. I just can't formulate in my mind the significance of the Davidic covenant even through the sins of David and Solomon, and the separation and exiles of Israel. I can't go into why the dating in the Old Testament is so bizarre and contradicts things like Babylonian inscriptions, or why the kings are sometimes listed in a funky way. I think I'm supposed to pay attention to why the kings like Hezekiah and Josiah are important as models and why the kings like Jeroboam and Ahab and that other guy are important as models of what not to do. All that I just typed in this blog post is all that I can fit into my brain right now.

On a brighter note, I got the third highest grade on the Hebrew final I took yesterday. I was behind a graduating senior undergrad who is shy of genius and a girl who grew up in Israel. Needless to say, last night I was pretty excited. Getting a good grade after crying and praying and studying for a class you know you won't use after grad school, was validating. Especially in light of my academic advisor suggesting last semester that maybe I was having problems because I have told myself I'm bad at languages.

Clearly, I'm not bad at languages. I know to languages that people actually use, and now I can kind of read 2 dead languages. My dad asked me to say something to him in Greek and in Hebrew yesterday. I said "I loosed the slave" in Greek and "good morning" in Hebrew.

Dennis is currently driving me nuts, by the way, because he is singing this pet commercial song:
"There ain't no bugs on me,
There ain't no bugs on me,
There may be bugs on nananan...
But there ain't no bugs on me."


Payback, my dear husband, is that I do indeed blog about it when you do silly annoying things like this.

No comments: