Monday, August 04, 2008

Bear Meat.


Whilst in Japan, we learned that the Japanese love giving gifts. Especially, traditional food for foreigners who have very limited knowledge of Japanese cuisine. I really liked this tradition.

Anyway, Dennis's reader- Chiba-san- brought Dennis a can of bear meat from his trip to Hokkaido (top part of Japan, cold/snowy, military area). At first, we didn't know if this was really bear meat or how to even prepare it. I am a food tourist so I was willing to try it. Dennis was not so interested. Luckily, one of the women from church was able to help us out and we ate it for dinner one night. Cold. From the can. Like you would prepare tuna-fish.



The five of us and our Japanese friends, Chieko-san and Masayo-chan, passed the bowl of bear meat around to try it and Dennis was not really willing.

I enjoyed it.

Masayo-chan thoughtfully said "sorry, Pooh-san" before she tasted it (apologizing to Winnie the Pooh).

Dennis finally taking a tiny piece.

Chieko-san taking seconds (I took seconds as well).

And here is the video evidence of Dennis's reaction to eating bear meat.



It's not something I'd eat everyday but it wasn't bad. It was very strong in flavor but it wasn't really anything other than meat. So now I can check "eating bear meat" off of my list of things to do before I turn 30.

2 comments:

BlondeMomBlog (Jamie) said...

Wow it looks like really bad canned dog food!

I ate buffalo sausage once at a diner in Kansas.

Unknown said...

okay, you're braver than i am. i think the most exotic meat i've ever tried is deer sausage. :)